A ruin on the road going to Ponte Nomentana in the neighbourhood of Rome
- 12 ⅝ × 18 ½ inches · 320 × 470 mm
- Signed, dated and inscribed verso on the original mount: No 6 Rome A view of a Sepulchre on the left hand side of the road going out at the port of Pia to Ponte Nomentana drawn on the spot by Francis Towne 1786
- Private collection, UK, to circa 1970;
- Dr J. G. Goldyne, 1996;
- Private collection.
- London, Henry Tresham’s gallery, 20 Lower Brook Street, A series of the most picturesque scenes in the neighbourhood of Rome, Naples and other parts of Italy, Switzerland, etc., together with a select number of views of the Lakes in Cumberland, West Moreland and North Wales. The whole drawn on the spot by Francis Towne, Landscape painter, February 1805, no. 139.
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne: Lone Star of Watercolour painting, 1962, p. 121;
- To be included in Richard Stephens’s catalogue raisonné of Francis Towne’s works.
Private collection, UK