An Illustration to Milton’s ‘Lycidas’
- Watercolour over pencil, heightened with scratching out and gouache
- 4 ⅛ × 6 inches · 104 × 151 mm
- Signed ‘S Palmer’ (lower left)
Painted circa 1864–1870
- Alexander Campbell Blair, Conway, (d.1935);
- Thomas George McGill Duncan, M.C.;
- Niall McGill Duncan, to 1976;
- Robert Tear, 2011;
- And by descent, 2014.
- London, Victoria & Albert Museum, A Vision Recaptured, 1978, no. XVI (b).
- Raymond Lister (ed.), The Letters of Samuel Palmer, vol. II, Oxford, 1974, p. 691;
- Arnold Fawcus et al., Samuel Palmer: A Vision Recaptured: The Complete Etchings and the Paintings for Milton and for Virgil, London, 1978, p. 35;
- Raymond Lister, Catalogue raisonné of the Works of Samuel Palmer, Cambridge, 1988, p. 218, M7.
Private Collection, USA