Sir Thomas Lawrence
Charles James Fox
- Oil on canvas
- 30 × 25 inches · 763 × 635 mm
- Major-General, the Hon. George Walpole (1758–1835) (according to an old label on the back of the painting), painted for him at St Anne’s Hill, Chertsey, November 1800;
- Henry Richard Vassall-Fox, 3rd Baron Holland, (1773–1840) a gift from the above;
- Lady Mary Elizabeth Fox, daughter of the above (Lady Mary Elizabeth Lilford (née Fox) become the sole heiress of the Holland family in 1859);
- Thomas Powys, 3rd Lord Lilford, husband of the above, d.1861;
- Thomas Littleton Powys, 4th Lord Lilford. d.1896;
- John Powys, 5th Lord Lilford, d.1945;
- Stephen Powys, 6th Lord Lilford, d.1949;
- George Vernon Powys, 7th Lord Lilford, to 1961;
- Sidney F. Sabin, acquired from the above in 1961;
- Private collection, to 2013.
- London, Royal Academy, Sir Thomas Lawrence PRA, 1769 – 1830, 1961, no. 36.
- George Otto Trevelyan, Life and Times of Lord Macaulay, London, 1888, p.153;
- Earl of Ilchester, The Home of the Hollands, London, 1937, p.139;
- Kenneth Garlick, Sir Thomas Lawrence, London, 1954, p.37;
- Kenneth. Garlick, Sir Thomas Lawrence PRA, 1769 – 1830, exhibition catalogue, 1961, cat. no. 36;
- Kenneth Garlick, ‘A Catalogue of the Paintings, Drawings and Pastels of Sir Thomas Lawrence’, The Walpole Society, 1964, 39, p.81;
- Kenneth Garlick and A. Macintyre (ed.), The Diary of Joseph Farington, New Haven and London, IV, p.1450;
- Kenneth Garlick, Sir Thomas Lawrence; a complete catalogue of the oil paintings, Oxford, 1989, cat. no. 307;
- John Ingamells, National Portrait Gallery Mid-Georgian Portraits, 1760-1790, London, 2004, p.168 reproduced.
Private collection, UK