Death of the Doe
- Mezzotint, printed in black ink alone
- 14 ½ × 19 ¼ inches · 369 × 490 mm
- Engraved and published by Stubbs, 16 October 1804.
Unconserved original condition with some minor worming and slight browning to sheet. Trimmed to the platemark on three sides; trimmed approximately 8mm into the subject
on the right-hand side.
- Frank Silzer, The Story of British Sporting Prints, 2nd edit., 1929 p. 273;
- C. F. G. R. Schwerdt, Hunting, Hawking, Shooting, vol. III, 1928-37, p. 166;
- Basil Taylor, The Prints of George Stubbs, 1969, no.19;
- Dudley Snelgrove, British Sporting and Animal prints 1658-1874, 1981, no. 3;
- Judy Egerton, George Stubbs, 1984, no. 190;
- Christopher Lennox-Boyd, Rob Dixon and Tim Clayton, George Stubbs: The Complete Engraved Works, 1989, p. 289, catalogue no. 145 i/ii.
National Gallery of Art, Washington