John Hamilton Mortimer
Fishermen drawing in their nets
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watermark dovecote
- 14 ¼ × 16 ½ inches · 362 × 419 mm
- Richard Payne Knight, by 1780;
- with Colnaghi's, London, 1960, as Banditti Fishing;
- Judith Church and Dr Frederick J. Cummings, Detroit;
- Martin Gruss, New York, to 2011.
- London, Society of Artists, 1774, no. 174, as Fishermen; a drawing in pen and ink;
- Eastbourne, Towner Art Gallery, and London, Kenwood, John Hamilton Mortimer ARA 1740-1779, 1968, no. 109.
- G. Benthall, John Hamilton Mortimer ARA, Drawings and Engraved Works, with a Revised Account of his Life, Victoria & Albert Museum, unpublished document, 1950s, p. 154 (relating to the print);
- J. Sunderland, 'John Hamilton Mortimer - His Life and Works', The Walpole Society, LII, 1986, p. 158, no. 88, fig. 147.
The Art Institute of Chicago