John Robert Cozens
London and the Thames from Greenwich
- Watercolour over pencil
- 14 ½ × 20 ⅝ inches · 367 × 525 mm
- Signed and dated on the original-mount, lower left: ‘Jno Cozens 1792’
- Private collection, Yorkshire, until circa 1956;
- Agnew's, London;
- H.G. Balfour, purchased from the above, 1957;
- by family descent, until 1995;
- Leger Galleries, London;
- Sir Edwin Manton (1909-2005), purchased from the above, 1996;
- Judy Caruso, New York, a gift from the above, to 2015.
- London, Agnew's, Annual Exhibition of Watercolour Drawings, 1957, no. 32.
- C. F. Bell and T. Girtin, ‘The Drawings and Sketches of John Robert Cozens’, Walpole Society, Vol. XXIII, 1935, no. 441 (for a discussion of the group) Francis Hawcroft, Watercolours by John Robert Cozens, London 1971, p. 34, under no. 9;
- Andrew Wilton, The Art of Alexander and John Robert Cozens, exh. cat., New Haven, Yale Center for British Art, 1980, p. 51, under no. 137.
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston