Joseph Wright of Derby
- Pencil and black chalk
- 12 ½ × 16 ½ inches · 308 × 420 mm
- Signed and dated: J. Wright delin 1775 (lower left), also inscribed by John Holland of Ford, Wright’s executor: Mount Vesuvius/Drawing was made by Wright of Derby when in Italy in 1775.
- Probably in Wright’s studio at his death, inscribed by his executor John Holland of Ford, who probably passed it to one of Wright’s friends;
- Sir Gilbert Inglefield, by 1968;
- Private collection, 2006.
- B. Nicolson, Joseph Wright of Derby: Painter of Light, London, 1968, I, p.76 and 2, p. 101, pl. 165.
Private collection, USA