- Oil on canvas
- 29 ¼ × 24 ¼ inches · 744 × 614 mm
- Signed, inscribed and dated (centre left): N. Dance. fecit Roma. 1762
- Commissioned in Rome by the sitter and her husband;
- Michael Craster, Craster Tower, Craster, by direct descent to 2014.
- London, Kenwood, Nathaniel Dance 1735-1811, 1977, no. 6;
- Newcastle, Laing Art Gallery, Art Treasures in the North, 1999-2000.
- Sir Edmund Craster, The Craster Family: Three Generations, Gateshead on Tyne, 1953, pp. 39 and 43;
- B. Skinner, 'Some Aspects of the Work of Nathaniel Dance in Rome', The Burlington Magazine, CI, 1959, p. 349, fig. 51;
- A. Busiri Vici, 'Ritratti di N. Dance tra dueri e salotti', Capitolium, XL, July/August 1965, pp. 388-9;
- A. M. Clark, E.P. Bowron (ed.), Pompeo Batoni. A complete catalogue of his works with an introductory text, Oxford, 1985, pp. 288-9, under no. 256;
- Brinsley Ford, John Ingamells (ed.), A Dictionary of British and Irish Travellers in Italy 1701-1800, New Haven and London, 1997, p. 250;
- Ann French, Art Treasures in the North: Northern Families on the Grand Tour, London, 2009, pp. 93-5, fig. 82, pl. 8, illustrated on front cover;
- Francesco Petrucci, Pittura di Ritratto a Roma: Il Settecento, Rome, 2010, II, p.531, reproduced.
Minneapolis Institute of Arts