Joseph Mallord William Turner
Sky over the sea
- Pencil, watercolour and gouache on buff-grey paper manufactured by George Steart of Bally, Ellen & Steart, De Montalt Mill, Bath
- 5⅛ × 7⅛ inches · 127 × 182 mm
- Executed circa 1835-40
- Thomas Pegram, 1952;
- Professor David Talbot Rice, 1972;
- And by descent to 1984;
- Private collection, USA, to 2014.
- Andrew Wilton, The Life and Work of J.M.W. Turner, 1979, pp.466-471, nos.1382-1428, (for a discussion of the later marine studies);
- Turner Society News, No.34, November 1984, p.3;
- Edward Yardley, ‘A Margate Sketchbook Re-assembled?’, Turner Studies, Winter 1984, vol.4, no.2, pp.53-55;
- Peter Bower, Turner’s Later Papers. A Study of the Manufacture, Selection and Use of his Drawing Papers 1820-1851, Tate Gallery 1999, for a discussion of Turner’s papers.