Joseph Mallord William Turner
Sunrise: Venice from the Punta della Dogana
- Pen and blue ink with black chalk and watercolour, heightened with touches of gouache on wove paper, watermarked: ‘J WHATMAN 1834’
- 8 ¾ × 12 ¾ inches · 220 × 320 mm
- A sheet from the 'Storm' sketchbook
Executed on the spot in August 1840
- Sir Laurence Philipps, 1st Baron Milford, acquired between 1918 and 1939;
- By descent, to 2016.
- London, Tate Britain, New York, Metropolitan Museum of Art & Fort Worth, Kimbell Art Museum, Turner and Venice, 2003-4, cat. no.185.
- Ian Warrell, Turner and Venice, exhibition catalogue, 2003, p.175 (reproduced).
Private collection, Europe